The Texas Coalition for Healthy Minds is dedicated to promoting the prevention, treatment and increased funding for mental illness and substance use disorder across Texas.
- Inform and influence policy and legislation
- Change organizational practices
- Foster networks
- Educate stakeholders and others in the community
- Promote awareness
- Share organizational knowledge and skills
The TCHM is guided by the following principles:
- Access to quality, affordable, integrated health care for every Texan, including preventive services and treatment for mental health and substance use disorder.
- Prevention, early intervention, person-centered treatment, and recovery as cornerstones of the health care system.
- Prevention, treatment, and diversion instead of school disciplinary and criminal justice involvement.
- Affordable, integrated housing options in the least restrictive setting with access to supports that meet the consumers’ needs.
- A healthcare workforce that is adequate, sustainable, accessible, culturally competent, and operates effectively in an integrated care environment.
- Accountability and transparency throughout any system that serves individuals with mental health and/or substance use disorder needs.
- Elimination of the stigma around mental illness and substance use disorder through education on prevention, treatment and care.
- Appropriate use of best and promising practices for data collection and analysis, helping to make continuous improvements possible.