Honesty and Transparency:
- Disclose conflicts of interest.
- Mutual enforcement of the rules of engagement.
- Be thoughtful of each other at all times and continuously strive to work in a positive, respectful and trusting fashion.
- Listen actively.
- Ask questions regarding shared information when needed.
- Explain positions as the subject matter is broached.
- Initiate sidebar when necessary.
- Be prepared.
- Participate in discussions.
- Provide timely responses regarding the TCHM’s business.
- Support the TCHM through frequent and ongoing contributions.
- Maintain confidentiality on any information shared by other members while also using the shared information to promote the TCHM’s goals.
- Strive to focus on the greater good of the group, rather than on the organization a member represents.
- Share information and cooperate in order to ensure that we continue to build a strong, credible coalition.
- Do not represent the TCHM unless members have addressed an issue. (See also decision-making process.)
- Agree to work out differences with any members in a collaborative fashion.
- Announce any disagreement or opposition with another member organization’s position and discuss a possible compromise. If no compromise, announce disagreement again and inform TCHM what steps the organization will take when presenting this issue to others.
- If a certain bill is being discussed during the legislative session and a member’s organization is in opposition to the majority of the TCHM’s members, announce disagreement and step out of the room when strategy is discussed. However, as noted above, always search for a compromise that can bridge the gap among organizations. (This process should be applied to all matters and discussions.)
- Do not disparage the TCHM – it is expected that if an organization is opposed to a bill or a stance – and common ground cannot be reached – that the organization does not disparage the TCHM when expressing their opposition to legislators or any other stakeholders.
- Work actively to inform decision makers and other stakeholders about the TCHM’s shared priorities, goals and mission.
- Be a unified, authentic voice in the mental health and substance use disorder communities and in communicating the TCHM’s priorities and mission.